Thunderstorms. Traveling. The grand finale at your local Fourth of July fireworks show.
There are so many things that can scare even the bravest dog. Unfortunately — like all of the examples above — some of those terrifying triggers are events that we can’t avoid.
How do you calm your dog’s anxiety when you know she’s experiencing something scary? How do you reduce the strain on yourself when you can sense that your dog is having the worst night of his life?
That sense of helplessness is one of the worst feelings for any dog parent. We bear the responsibility of making our dogs feel secure, loved and protected (and our furbabies always return the favor!).
And then there’s the matter of pain. Our dogs can suffer from acute and chronic issues — associated with arthritis, inflammation, pain from injury, epilepsy, cancer and more. Seeing your dog in discomfort can be absolutely devastating.
How do you address physical, emotional and behavioral problems in a way that’s effective and sustainable? And not to mention affordable and widely available?
This is a problem that caring pet parents have been dealing with forever. In just the past few years, CBD has emerged as a powerful treatment to combat the wide range of difficult issues that our dogs can face.
Word of mouth is spreading fast, and the scientific community is catching up — recent peer-reviewed studies have reinforced the powerfully positive impact of CBD in the animal kingdom.
Here’s what we know, and what you should do next.
Why Your Dog Might Need CBD: The Surprising Benefits of This Miracle Substance For Your Pet
The list of ailments that CBD might help your dog with is long and varied. Pet owners have reported positive effects when using CBD to treat everything from mental issues like anxiety to acute injury to serious concerns like cancer and epilepsy.
If you’re considering letting your dog enjoy the miraculous reported benefits of CBD, first consider whether you’d like to try a standard or therapeutic dose.
What’s the difference?
A standard dose could be administered for general immune or health support or to address situational stressors, e.g. thunderstorms, travel, crowds, during grooming or other events that cause anxiety.
On the other hand, a therapeutic dose is appropriate for chronic, bothersome conditions
- Hip dysplasia
- Pain from injury
- Post-surgery recovery
In addition, CBD might help your pet to overcome the problems associated with:
- Lack of appetite
- Lack of energy, lethargy
- Travel sickness
- Muscle spasms or seizures
- Fear of thunderstorms, fireworks or loud noises
How Much CBD Does Your Dog Need, Exactly? Here’s How You Find Out
Just like for humans, each animal’s bodily response to CBD is directly influenced by the complex and unique interplay of receptors in the endocannabinoid system. Some animals will have more receptors than others, and this will influence how much and how often CBD should be taken. That means that your dog’s ideal dosage can only be calibrated through experimentation and observation.
When you’re giving your dog CBD for the first time, start with this rule of thumb: For every 10 pounds of body weight, give your dog 1-5 mg CBD for every 1-2x/day. Start with the minimum dosage and wait at least 20 minutes to see results. If there is no change after an hour, increase the dosage.
Unsure about exactly how much CBD your dog will need, or concerned that he or she may need a lot more or a lot less than the suggested dose by weight? You may want to try one of our tinctures — the beauty of this format is that you can precisely titrate the desired dose, drop by drop.
Rest assured that there is no known toxicity with CBD. Further, New Coastal CBD products contain zero THC. THC is the psychotropic compound in cannabis; your dog will not experience psychotropic effects from taking CBD products.
Remember, even after you’ve determined your pet’s ideal dose, keep in mind that different situations may require different quantities. For example, if your pet seems absolutely inconsolable on the 4th of July, you may want to try a larger than average dosage.
When you’re using the CBD to alleviate your dog’s pain, offer it every 8 hours.
The following chart provides a useful “cheat sheet” for typical CBD doses for dogs by weight. Remember — this is only a guideline, and your own dog’s needs will be unique.
Due to physiological and logistical concerns, dogs should take CBD by mouth — whether it’s a tincture administered orally or a delicious treat. Dosage suggestions apply to pets in generally good health.
New Coastal offers the following flavors and formulations for your dog to take CBD. Our assortment of different dosages, textures and flavors is designed to cater to even the pickiest tastes:
- 100mg Biscuits 4 oz bags (Peanut Butter and Bacon Flavors)
- 150mg 3 oz Natural Freeze Dried Meat (Chicken and Salmon) — made with real meat!
- Pet Tinctures (not just limited to Dogs or Cats): Available in 250mg or 500mg and in Bacon, Salmon or Peanut Butter Flavors
We also offer the following CBD product for cats:
- 50mg 1 oz Natural Freeze Dried Meat (Chicken and Salmon)
The chart below provides a helpful guideline for dosing for biscuits or treats. But be sure to consult the package of the product you choose, and observe your pet’s reaction in order to calibrate the proper dosage.
Body Weight x 0.25mg
|Pet Weight (lbs)||No. of Treats|
|Up to 16||1|
|Pet Weight (lbs)||No. of Treats|
|Up to 10||1-2|
Is CBD Safe For Dogs? Here’s What The Latest Science Says
Pet owners everywhere are raving about how effective CBD can be for calming dogs’ nerves, treating their chronic health problems and even alleviating the suffering associated with tough long-term conditions like epilepsy and cancer.
The anecdotal evidence is strong. But what about the scientific data?
As a caring pet owner, you are of course concerned with the long-term health impacts of any substance that goes onto or inside your pet’s body.
The pet-owning public has asked, and the scientific community has answered. In the past few years alone, there has been an explosion in the publication of peer-reviewed studies analyzing the physiological impacts of CBD on dogs and cats. For your convenience, we’ve summarized the two most important findings below.
- CBD-rich hemp nutraceuticals appear to be safe in healthy adult dogs.
A 4-author study published in October 2019 in “Animals” magazine examined the use of CBD-rich, hemp-based nutraceuticals in dogs and cats for disorders related to anxiety, seizures, cancer and pain. The authors analyzed the impacts of both single- and long-term dosing over the course of the 12-week They found that: 1) dosing may differ between the two species (cats and dogs), and 2) “there were no changes in physical examination, and few changes in the complete blood count and serum chemistry parameters. This suggests that the oral administration of CBD is generally safe for dogs.
- CBD significantly decreased pain and increased physical activity with no observable side effects in dogs with osteoarthritis.
In a 9-author study published in July 2018 in the periodical “Frontiers in Veterinary Science,” researchers observed extremely promising results with regards to using CBD to treat arthritis in dogs. In scientific terms: CBD was found to have a half-life of 4.2 hours, and “canine brief pain inventory and Hudson activity scores showed a significant decrease in pain and an increase in activity (p < 01) with CBD oil.” Further, the dogs continued to experience a decrease in pain levels throughout CBD treatment. No side effects were observed.
Find The Best CBD Products For Your Dog: What To Look For
Many of us dog owners feed our fur babies better food than we feed ourselves. And some of our pets sleep on nicer beds than any human does (or they just kick us out of ours — we all know who’s in charge at home!).
Bottom line: We all want what’s best for our dogs. “Fine” is never good enough. Quality matters, purity is non-negotiable and results are important. So when you’re looking for just the right CBD products for your pet, keep the following in mind.
- TIP 1: DON’T MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON PRICE When it comes to health and wellness products, don’t get hung up on bargain shopping. The very things that set superior CBD products apart — quality, potency, purity, etc. — may also mean that the best option for your dog isn’t necessarily the cheapest. As you’re shopping for CBD products for your dog, be sure to consider brand, CBD source and product reputation. (To learn more about New Coastal’s mission, our founders, and why we got into the CBD business in the first place — click here.
- TIP 2: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE CBD PRODUCTS ARE THIRD-PARTY TESTED This tip holds true both for CBD products for humans and CBD products for dogs. Due to the rapid growth of the CBD industry, regulation can be hit or miss, making it hard to compare one brand’s products with another’s. Luckily, there’s an easy way to benchmark any CBD product: by examining the results of third party tests. Through the Certificate of Analysis, you can learn about the purity and potency of a given CBD product. You can also reassure yourself about the level of pollutants and contaminants present in the product (hopefully, this level is zero, or a very negligible number). Third-party testing isn’t required by law, and it’s not cheap or easy to complete. When you see a brand that has taken the extra trouble and expense to complete third-party testing and offer a CoA, that’s a great sign of high quality.
- TIP 3: FOLLOW YOUR DOG’S LEAD Your dog has tastes and preferences just like any human! As you start this search to find the perfect CBD dose and delivery mechanism for your dog, always keep an open mind. Calibrate the appropriate dosage based on your dog’s response — remember, you can always add more as you go, and you can try something different as needs evolve in the future. Does your dog seem to love certain flavors or textures? Use that information to guide your choices! For example, New Coastal offers both delicious peanut butter biscuits and tempting freeze-dried treats. Our freeze-dried treats are made from real meat — something that most dogs go wild for! With tinctures, you have the freedom of either administering orally or adding it to your pet’s food — in some cases, this capability can be particularly helpful.
Bottom line: You’re here because you’re a great dog owner. You want to enhance your pet’s enjoyment of life. You want your dog to live in pain-free, anxiety-free happiness. You’re always looking for ways to give your pet a better experience.
With that as your framework — and with your newfound knowledge about the safety and efficacy of CBD for dogs — you can’t go wrong.
Click here to find the perfect CBD product for your pet’s needs.